Zwolle (zwôlˈə) [key], city (1994 pop. 99,139), capital of Overijssel prov., N central Netherlands, on the Zwartewater River. It is an administrative, transportation, and industrial center. Shipbuilding and iron-working are activities. Notable buildings include the 15th-century town hall and the Church of St. Michael, a 15th-century Gothic structure. Nearby was the monastery where Thomas à Kempis lived (15th cent.).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Zwolle from Infoplease:
- Zwolle: meaning and definitions - Zwolle: Definition and Pronunciation
- Overijssel: meaning and definitions - Overijssel: Definition and Pronunciation
- IJssel - IJssel IJssel , river, 72 mi (116 km) long, branching from the Neder Rijn (Lower Rhine) River near ...
- Johann Wessel - Wessel, Johann Wessel, Johann , c.1420–1489, Dutch theologian and precursor of the Protestant ...
- Thomas à Kempis - Thomas à Kempis Thomas à Kempis , b. 1379 or 1380, d. 1471, German monk, traditional ...