Yasnaya Polyana (yäˈsnĪə pəlyäˈnə) [key], village, central European Russia, just S of Tula. It was the birthplace and residence of Leo Tolstoy, who is buried at his estate there. The writer's home was looted during German occupation of the village in 1941, but it has since been restored and is a museum and literary shrine.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Yasnaya Polyana from Infoplease:
- Tolstoy, Leo, Count: Early Life - Early Life Of a noble family, Tolstoy was born at Yasnaya Polyana, his parents' estate near ...
- Tula, city, Russia - Tula Tula , city (1991 pop. 545,000), capital of Tula region, N central European Russia, on the Upa ...
- Leo Tolstoy - Leo Tolstoy novelist, philosopher Born: 9/9/1828 Birthplace: Yasnaya Polyana, Russia Novelist and ...
- Leo Tolstoy - Biography of Leo Tolstoy, Author of War and Peace
- Encyclopedia: CIS and Baltic Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning CIS and Baltic Political Geography.