Yakutsk (yəkōtskˈ) [key], city (1989 pop. 187,000), capital of the Sakha Republic, E Siberian Russia, a major port on the Lena River. It is also a highway center and has tanneries, sawmills, and brickworks. Yakutsk was founded in 1632. It has a university (founded 1956) and the Yakutsk branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Yakutsk from Infoplease:
- Yakutsk: meaning and definitions - Yakutsk: Definition and Pronunciation
- Yakut Autonomous Republic: meaning and definitions - Yakut Autonomous Republic: Definition and Pronunciation
- Lena: meaning and definitions - Lena: Definition and Pronunciation
- Aldan, river, Russia - Aldan Aldan, river, c.1,400 mi (2,250 km) long, rising in the Stanovoy Range, Sakha Republic, SE ...
- Sakha Republic - Sakha Republic Sakha Republic , formerly Yakut Republicor Yakutia, constituent republic (1995 pop. ...