Worthing (wûrˈħĭng) [key], town (1991 pop. 90,687), West Sussex, S England. It is a seaside resort with a significant retired population. Protected by the South Downs, the area has an unusually warm climate. Fruits, vegetables, and flowers are cultivated. There are many prehistoric and Roman ruins (including the largest earthwork in England), relics of which are found in the Worthing museum.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Worthing from Infoplease:
- Maria Wörth - Maria Wörth Maria Wörth , village, Carinthia prov., S Austria. It is a popular resort on ...
- Charles Frederick Worth - Worth, Charles Frederick Worth, Charles Frederick, 1825–95, French and British fashion ...
- William Jenkins Worth - Worth, William Jenkins Worth, William Jenkins, 1794–1849, American army officer, b. Hudson, ...
- net assets: meaning and definitions - net assets: Definition and Pronunciation
- worth: meaning and definitions - worth: Definition and Pronunciation