Wittstock (vĭtˈshtôk) [key], town, Brandenburg, NE Germany. Manufactures include woolen textiles, machinery, and forest products. At Wittstock in 1636 the Swedes under Baner defeated the Saxon and imperial forces under Melchior Hatzfeldt in an important battle of the Thirty Years War.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Wittstock from Infoplease:
- Wittstock, Wittstock - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- Charlene Wittstock - Biography of Charlene Wittstock, The wife of Prince Albert of Monaco
- Johan Banér - Banér, Johan Banér, Johan , 1596–1641, Swedish field marshal in the Thirty ...
- Thirty Years War: The Franco-Swedish Period - The Franco-Swedish Period France entered openly into the war in 1635. Oxenstierna, the Swedish ...
- Prince Albert of Monaco - Biography of Prince Albert of Monaco, The royal leader of Monaco, 2005-present