Volterra, town (1991 pop. 12,879), Tuscany, central Italy. A powerful Etruscan town, it later (12th–13th cent.) was a free commune and passed to Florence in the 14th cent. Of note are well-preserved Etruscan gates and tombs, medieval walls, a Romanesque cathedral, and the Palazzo dei Priori (13th cent.). The powerful fortress (built 14th–15th cent.) is now a prison. There is an Etruscan museum in the town.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Volterra from Infoplease:
- Daniele da Volterra - Volterra, Daniele da Volterra, Daniele da , 1509–66, Italian mannerist painter and sculptor. ...
- New Moon Trivia - Learn about the symbolism, origin of names, and other interesting tidbits in Stephenie Meyer's New Moon.
- Breaking Dawn Trivia - Learn about the symbolism, origin of names, and other interesting tidbits in Stephenie Meyer's New Moon.
- The Tree of Life (2008) - Starring Hava Volterra, Elio Toaff, Viviana Volterra Gerner, Alessandra Veronese, Robert Bonfil
- Baldassare Franceschini - Franceschini, Baldassare Franceschini, Baldassare , 1611–89, Florentine painter; pupil of his ...