Virgin Lands Territory
Virgin Lands Territory, Rus. Tselinny Kray, former administrative division, c.231,000 sq mi (598,300 sq km), Central Asian USSR, in Kazakhstan. Created in 1960 by the merger of Kokchetav (Kökshetau), Kustanay (Qostanay), North Kazakhstan, Pavlodar, and Akmolinsk (Aqmola) regions to administer the grain-producing areas of the Kazakh steppe, it was abolished in 1965.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Virgin Lands Territory from Infoplease:
- Tselinny Kray - Tselinny Kray Tselinny Kray, Kazakhstan: see Virgin Lands Territory.
- kray - kray kray [Rus.,=edge], administrative and territorial unit of Russia. There are nine krays, or ...
- Astana - Astana Astana , formerly Aqmolaor Akmola, city (1993 est. pop. 287,000), capital of Kazakhstan and ...
- Kazakhstan: History - History The original nomadic Turkic tribes inhabiting the region had a culture that featured the ...
- Encyclopedia: CIS and Baltic Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning CIS and Baltic Political Geography.