Vardar (värˈdär) [key], river, c.240 mi (390 km) long, rising in the Šar Planina, Macedonia, and flowing northeast then southeast in a fertile valley, past Skopje, through NE Greece to the Aegean Sea near Thessaloníki. The Vardar valley forms part of the principal corridor of the Balkan Peninsula.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Vardar from Infoplease:
- Vardar: meaning and definitions - Vardar: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/vardar - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Veles - Veles Veles , town (1994 pop. 56,751), in Macedonia, on the Vardar River. It is a road and rail ...
- Morava, river, Serbia - Morava Morava or Velika Morava, river, 134 mi (216 km) long, formed at Stalać, E Serbia, by ...
- Aliákmon - Aliákmon Aliákmon , longest river of Greece, c.200 mi (320 km) long, rising in the ...