Uji (ōˈjē) [key], town (1990 pop. 177,010), Kyoto prefecture, S Honshu, Japan. It is a resort and is noted for its green tea and for cormorant fishing. Uji is best known for its 11th-century monastery, Byodo-in, with its beautiful pavilion, Phoenix Hall.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Uji from Infoplease:
- Ise - Ise Ise , city (1990 pop. 104,164), Mie prefecture, S Honshu, Japan, on Ise Bay. It is one of the ...
- Uji-yamada - Uji-yamada: Uji-yamada: see Ise, Japan.
- Lunch Line - Starring George McGovern, John Block, Dan Glickman, Saxby Chambliss, Janey Thornton, PhD
- pilgrim - pilgrim pilgrim, one who travels to a shrine or other sacred place out of religious motives. ...
- Kyoto - Kyoto Kyoto , city (1990 pop. 1,461,140), capital of Kyoto prefecture, S Honshu, Japan, on the Kamo ...