Tromelin Island (trōmlăNˈ) [key], c.1 sq mi (2.6 sq km), in the Indian Ocean c.260 mi (420 km) E of Madagascar. A French possession administered from Réunion, the low, flat, sandy island is the site of a meteorological station important in forecasting Indian Ocean cyclones. A wildlife sanctuary, Tromelin is home to sea turtles and many seabirds, but is uninhabited except for visiting scientists. The island is also claimed by Mauritius.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Tromelin Island from Infoplease:
- Tromelin Island - Map of Tromelin Island & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Madagascar - Madagascar Madagascar , officially Republic of Madagascar, republic (2005 est. pop. 18,040,000), ...
- French Possessions - French Possessions Bassas da India (0.1 sq mi, 0.2 sq km), a French possession since 1897, is an ...
- Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies - Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies Source: The World Factbook, 2005 The following is a list of ...
- Mauritius - Information on Mauritius — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.