Toyama (tōyäˈmä) [key], city (1990 pop. 321,254), capital of Toyama prefecture, W central Honshu, Japan, on Toyama Bay. It is the main center of Japan's patent medicine industry and also has industries that produce chemicals and textiles. Toyama prefecture (1990 pop. 1,120,182), 1,644 sq mi (4,258 sq km), is a rice-growing area with many rivers that provide hydroelectric power for industry.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Toyama from Infoplease:
- Toyama: meaning and definitions - Toyama: Definition and Pronunciation
- Himi - Himi Himi , city (1990 pop. 60,766), Toyama prefecture, W central Honshu, Japan, on Toyama Bay. It ...
- Takaoka - Takaoka Takaoka , city (1990 pop. 175,466), Toyama prefecture, W central Honshu, Japan, on the Sho ...
- Noto - Noto Noto , peninsula, c.45 mi (70 km) long and from 6 to 17 mi (9.6–27 km) wide, Ishikawa ...
- Encyclopedia: Japanese Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Japanese Political Geography.