Tobol (təbôlˈ) [key], river, c.1,050 mi (1,690 km) long, rising in the Mugodzhar Hills, NE Kazakhstan. It flows NE past Qostanay, into Russia, and past Kurgan to join the Irtysh River at Tobolsk. It is navigable in its lower course.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Tobol from Infoplease:
- Tobol: meaning and definitions - Tobol: Definition and Pronunciation
- Kustanai: meaning and definitions - Kustanai: Definition and Pronunciation
- Tobolsk: meaning and definitions - Tobolsk: Definition and Pronunciation
- Qostanay - Qostanay Qostanay, Kostanai,or Kustanay, city (1993 est. pop. 228,000), N Kazakhstan, on the Tobol ...
- Kurgan - Kurgan Kurgan , city (1989 pop. 356,000), capital of Kurgan region, W Siberian Russia, on the Tobol ...