Thon Buri (tŭn bŏrˈē) [key], district of metropolitan Bangkok, on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, Thailand. It is a center of rice milling, sawmilling, and light manufacturing industries. It was capital of Siam from 1767 to 1782. The most famous landmark is the Wat Arun temple.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Thon Buri from Infoplease:
- Thon Buri: meaning and definitions - Thon Buri: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ayutthaya - Ayutthaya Ayutthaya , or Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, city (1990 pop. 61,185), capital of Ayutthaya ...
- Bangkok - Bangkok Bangkok , Thai Krung Thep, city (1990 pop. 8,538,610), capital of Thailand and of Bangkok ...
- Encyclopedia: Thai Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Thai Political Geography.
- Thailand: History - History Early History Like other countries of Southeast Asia, Thailand in prehistoric times was ...