Tehuantepec (tāwäntāpĕkˈ) [key], officially Santo Domingo Tehuantepec sänˈtō dōmĭngˈgō, town (1990 pop. 33,445), Oaxaca state, S Mexico, on a wide bend of the Tehuantepec River not far from the Gulf of Tehuantepec, an arm of the Pacific. The town is on the Isthmus of Tehuantepec. The climate is hot and humid. The population is largely Zapotec. Tehuantepec is the commercial and social rival of Juchitán.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Tehuantepec from Infoplease:
- Isthmus of Tehuantepec - Tehuantepec, Isthmus of Tehuantepec, Isthmus of, c.125 mi (200 km) wide at its narrowest, S Mexico, ...
- Tehuantepec: meaning and definitions - Tehuantepec: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/tehuantepec - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Santo Domingo Tehuantepec - Santo Domingo Tehuantepec: Santo Domingo Tehuantepec: see Tehuantepec, Mexico.
- Coatzacoalcos - Coatzacoalcos Coatzacoalcos , city (1990 pop. 198,817), Veracruz state, E central Mexico, at the ...