Tczew (chĕf) [key], Ger. Dirschau, town (1992 est. pop. 60,000), Pomorskie prov., N Poland, a port on the Vistula River. It is a rail junction, with railroad workshops and shipyards located there. Chartered in 1260, Tczew became part of Poland in the late 13th cent. but was held by the Teutonic Knights from 1308 until 1466, when it reverted to Poland. It passed to Russia in 1772 and was not reincorporated into Poland until 1919.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Polish Political Geography