Tasman Sea, arm of the S Pacific Ocean between Australia and New Zealand; named for Dutch explorer Abel Tasman. Sydney, Australia, is the largest city on the sea.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Tasman Sea from Infoplease:
- Tasman Sea: meaning and definitions - Tasman Sea: Definition and Pronunciation
- Derwent: meaning and definitions - Derwent: Definition and Pronunciation
- New Plymouth - New Plymouth New Plymouth, city (1996 pop. 48,871), West Coast North Island, New Zealand, on the ...
- Milford Sound - Milford Sound Milford Sound, inlet of the Tasman Sea, indenting SW South Island, New Zealand. Part ...
- Australian Alps - Australian Alps Australian Alps, chain of mountain ranges, SE Australia, making up the southern ...