Takamatsu (täkäˈmätsō) [key], city (1990 pop. 329,684), capital of Kagawa prefecture, NE Shikoku, Japan, a port on the Inland Sea. It is the chief communications point between Shikoku and Honshu islands. Machinery, lacquer ware, paper products, and food are manufactured in the city. Takamatsu was the seat of the Matsudaira family during the feudal period. Ritsurin Park, on the site of a 14th-century castle, has noted landscape gardens.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Takamatsu from Infoplease:
- Takamatsu: meaning and definitions - Takamatsu: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/takamatsu - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Kagawa - Kagawa Kagawa , prefecture (1990 pop. 1,023,434), N Shikoku, Japan. Takamatsu is the capital. It is ...
- Shikoku - Shikoku Shikoku , island (1990 pop. 4,240,265), 7,247 sq mi (18,770 sq km), S Japan, separated from ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index T, t ta Taal Taanith Esther tab tabanid tabard tabaret Tabasco tabbinet tabbouleh ...