Taiz or Taizz (tä-ēzˈ) [key], city (1994 pop. 317,753), S Yemen, in the interior highlands. It is an agricultural marketing center, particularly for coffee, and the focus of trade routes. Taiz was the administrative capital of Northern Yemen 1948 to 1962. It is the seat of an important Muslim theological school and the former royal palace.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Taiz from Infoplease:
- Taiz: meaning and definitions - Taiz: Definition and Pronunciation
- Taizé Community - Taizé Community Taizé Community , ecumenical Christian community based in ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/taiz - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Yemen - Yemen Yemen , officially Republic of Yemen, republic (2005 est. pop. 20,727,000), 207,300 sq mi ...
- Sana - Sana Sana or San'a, city (1994 pop. 954,448), capital and largest city of Yemen. The city lies ...