Sorrento (sōr-rānˈtō) [key], town (1991 pop. 16,459), Campania, S Italy, on the Sorrento Peninsula, which separates the Bay of Naples from the Gulf of Salerno. Beautifully situated, it is a tourist center and a summer resort.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Sorrento from Infoplease:
- Sorrento: meaning and definitions - Sorrento: Definition and Pronunciation
- Amalfi - Amalfi Amalfi , town (1991 pop. 5,589), in Campania, S Italy, a small fishing port on the Gulf of ...
- Capri - Capri Capri , Lat. Capreae, island (1987 est. pop. 7,750), 4 sq mi (10.4 sq km), Campania, S Italy, ...
- Bread, Love and Dreams (Pane, Amore e Fantasia) - Starring Vittorio De Sica, Gina Lollobrigida, Marisa Merlini, Roberto Risso, Virgilio Riento
- Naples, city, Italy: Points of Interest - Points of Interest Naples is beautifully situated at the base and on the slopes of the hills ...