Snowdon, Welsh Yr Wyddfa, highest mountain of Wales, 3,560 ft (1,085 m) high, Gwynedd, NW Wales. Its five peaks are separated by passes. There is a rack and pinion railway (opened 1896) from Llanberis to the summit. The Snowdon district, or Snowdonia, is noted for its scenic beauty; most of it is included in Snowdonia National Park (est. 1951). A nuclear power station (500,000-kW capacity; completed 1964) and a hydroelectric power project are in the region.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Snowdon from Infoplease:
- Snowdon, Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of - Snowdon, Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of, ...
- Snowdon: meaning and definitions - Snowdon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Wales - Information on Wales — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Antony Armstrong Jones - Jones, Antony Armstrong: Jones, Antony Armstrong: see Snowdon, Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of.
- Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones | Royal Biographies - Royal Biographies Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones by David Johnson Related Links Royal Family Tree The ...