Skierniewice (skyĕrnyĕvēˈtsĕ) [key], town (1993 est. pop. 44,000), Łódzkie prov., E central Poland. It is a railway junction and manufacturing center where electrical goods, glass, and ceramics are produced. Chartered in 1463, it was a residence of the bishops of Gniezno (17th–18th cent.). Skierniewice has a 17th-century episcopal palace.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Polish Political Geography