Sepik, river, c.700 mi (1,130 km) long, N Papua New Guinea, rising near the border of Indonesia's Papua prov. and Papua New Guinea. It flows east through a large swampy basin to the Bismarck Sea. The river drains a vast mountainous region of central New Guinea and is navigable for small craft c.300 mi (480 km) upstream.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Sepik from Infoplease:
- Oceanic art: Melanesia - Melanesia Wood carvings and ritual masks, the best studied of Melanesian artifacts, are brilliantly ...
- Encyclopedia: Pacific Islands Physical Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Pacific Islands Physical Geography.
- New Guinea - New Guinea New Guinea , island, c.342,000 sq mi (885,780 sq km), SW Pacific, N of Australia; the ...
- Papua New Guinea - Information on Papua New Guinea — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Earthquakes and Volcanic Eruptions - Earthquakes and Volcanic Eruptions Here is information on significant earthquakes and volcanic ...