Scafell (skôˈfĕlˈ) [key] or Scawfell, mountain group, Cumbria, NW England, in the Lake District, in the Cumbrian Mts. It includes the peaks Scafell Pike (3,210 ft/978 m; highest in England), Scafell, and Great End. The region is a popular tourist attraction.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Scafell from Infoplease:
- Cumbrian Mountains - Cumbrian Mountains Cumbrian Mountains, mountains of the Lake District, NW England; Scafell Pike ...
- Lake District - Lake District Lake District, region of mountains and lakes, c.30 mi (50 km) in diameter, NW ...
- Windermere - Windermere Windermere , lake, 10.5 mi (17 km) long and 1 mi (1.6 km) wide, in the Lake District, ...
- Scawfell - Scawfell: Scawfell: see Scafell, mts., England.
- Encyclopedia: British and Irish Physical Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning British and Irish Physical Geography.