Savona (sävôˈnä) [key], city (1991 pop. 67,177), capital of Savona prov., in Liguria, NW Italy, on the Riviera. It is a major seaport and an industrial center. Manufactures include metals, machinery, ships, glass, and chemicals. The seat of a marquesate in the Middle Ages, Savona was a flourishing commercial center until it was badly defeated and annexed by Genoa in 1528. The city has a 16th-century castle and a cathedral (16th–19th cent.).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Savona from Infoplease:
- Savona: meaning and definitions - Savona: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/savona - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Jacobus da Varagine - Jacobus da Varagine Jacobus da Varagine , c.1230–1298, Italian hagiographer, b. Varazze (then ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index SASE Sasebo Saseno sash Sasha sashay sash bar sash chain sash cord sashimi sash ...
- Liguria - Liguria Liguria , region (1991 pop. 1,676,282), 2,098 sq mi (5,434 sq km), NW Italy, extending ...