Sapporo (säp-pōˈrō) [key], city (1990 pop. 1,671,742), capital of Hokkaido prefecture, SW Hokkaido, Japan. It is one of Japan's most rapidly growing urban centers. Food processing, electronics, beer, lumbering, woodworking, and printing are the major industries. Sapporo is also a tourist and winter-sports center. It is famous for its annual Snow Festival and played host to the 1972 winter Olympics. Hokkaido Univ. and Sapporo Agricultural School are in the city.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Sapporo from Infoplease:
- Sapporo: meaning and definitions - Sapporo: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/sapporo - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Ebetsu - Ebetsu Ebetsu , city (1990 pop. 97,201), Hokkaido prefecture, central Hokkaido, Japan. It is an ...
- Winter Olympics History Quiz: Part II: 1 - Winter Olympic History Quiz: Part 2 For more facts and figures, visit Winter Olympics 2006. ...
- Hakodate - Hakodate Hakodate , city (1990 pop. 307,249), extreme SW Hokkaido, Japan, on the Tsugaru Strait. ...