San Pedro Sula
San Pedro Sula (säm pāˈħrō sōˈlä) [key], city (1997 est. pop. 417,000), capital of Cortés dept., NW Honduras. It is the second largest city in the country. San Pedro Sula and Puerto Cortés are the principal ports of Honduras and serve the northwestern banana and sugar plantations. San Pedro Sula is the major industrial and commercial city of Honduras, with a wide variety of light industries. The city was significantly damaged by hurricanes in 1974 and 1998.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on San Pedro Sula from Infoplease:
- San Pedro Sula: meaning and definitions - San Pedro Sula: Definition and Pronunciation
- Honduras: Economy and Government - Economy and Government Honduras is one of the poorest nations in the Western Hemisphere and remains ...
- Encyclopedia: Honduran Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Honduran Political Geography.
- Honduras - Information on Honduras — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- 2001 Schedule and Results - 2001 Schedule and Results Through Oct. 7, 2001. Games in bold type are CONCACAF Final Round ...