Sakai (säkĪˈ) [key], city (1990 pop. 807,765), Osaka prefecture, S Honshu, Japan, on Osaka Bay at the mouth of the Yamato River. An industrial center, it has engineering, iron- and steelworks, chemical plants, machine factories, and textile mills. Sakai was a major port from the 15th to the 17th cent.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Sakai from Infoplease:
- Sakai: meaning and definitions - Sakai: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/sakai - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Isesaki - Isesaki Isesaki , city (1990 pop. 115,938), Gumma prefecture, central Honshu, Japan. The city's ...
- Philipp Franz van Siebold - Siebold, Philipp Franz van Siebold, Philipp Franz van , 1796–1866, German naturalist and ...
- Southeast Asian languages: The Mon-Khmer Subfamily - The Mon-Khmer Subfamily Languages of the Mon-Khmer subfamily include Cambodian (or Khmer), Mon (or ...