Ross Island, in the Ross Sea, Antarctica, on the edge of the Ross Ice Shelf. Part of the Ross Dependency, the island is separated from Victoria Land by McMurdo Sound. Mt. Erebus, an active volcano, and Mt. Terror are on the island.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ross Island from Infoplease:
- Ross Island: meaning and definitions - Ross Island: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ross Dependency: meaning and definitions - Ross Dependency: Definition and Pronunciation
- Erebus: meaning and definitions - Erebus: Definition and Pronunciation
- Graham Land - Graham Land Graham Land, part of the Antarctic Peninsula, W Antarctica. This ice-covered, ...
- Mount Erebus - Erebus, Mount Erebus, Mount, volcanic peak, 12,280 ft (3,743 m) high, on Ross Island, in the Ross ...