Rosa, Monte (mōnˈtā rôˈzä) [key], massif, in the Pennine Alps, on the Swiss-Italian border. Its highest peak, the Dufourspitze, 15,217 ft (4,638 m), is the highest point in Switzerland. The Swiss side is covered by glaciers. A nuclear research laboratory has been established on the Italian side of Monte Rosa.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Monte Rosa from Infoplease:
- Last Letters From Monte Rosa - Starring Thomas Pohn, Fabio Sartor, Davidé Borella, Achim Buchner, Markus Kirschbaum
- Pennine Alps: meaning and definitions - Pennine Alps: Definition and Pronunciation
- Alps: Alpine Regions - Alpine Regions The Alps are divided by rivers and other topographic features into more than 40 ...
- Valle d' Aosta - Aosta, Valle d' Aosta, Valle d' , region (1991 pop. 115,938), 1,260 sq mi (3,263 sq km), NW ...
- Switzerland - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Switzerland and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Switzerland — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.