Rodez (rôdĕzˈ) [key], city (1993 pop. 26,794), capital of Aveyron dept., S France. It is a farm trade center; gloves and plastics are made. An episcopal see since the 4th cent., it was the historic capital of Rouergue. An impressive northern Gothic cathedral (13th–16th cent.) is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Rodez from Infoplease:
- Rodez: meaning and definitions - Rodez: Definition and Pronunciation
- Aveyron: meaning and definitions - Aveyron: Definition and Pronunciation
- Aveyron - Aveyron Aveyron , department (1990 pop. 270,144), S central France, in Guienne. Rodez is the ...
- Rouergue - Rouergue Rouergue , region of S France, in the S Massif Central, coextensive with the present ...
- Gaul: Roman Rule - Roman Rule By 121 B.C., Rome had acquired S Transalpine Gaul, and by the time of Julius Caesar it ...