Rockhampton, city (1991 pop. 55,768), Queensland, E Australia, on the Fitzroy River. It is a rail center and, with its port at Port Alma, the principal trade center for the pastoral and mining regions of central Queensland. The chief exports are wool, meat, and other farm products; copper and gold are also exported. There are cotton gins in the city and, in winter, a tourist trade. Rockhampton was founded in 1858.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Rockhampton from Infoplease:
- Rockhampton: meaning and definitions - Rockhampton: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/rockhampton - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Fitzroy - Fitzroy Fitzroy, rivers in Australia. 1. River, 174 mi (280 km) long, formed by the junction of the ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index rix-dollar Riyadh riyal Rizaiyeh Rizal Rizal Day Riza Shah Pahlavi rizzar Rizzio ...
- Queensland - Queensland Queensland, state (1991 pop. 2,477,152), 667,000 sq mi (1,727,200 sq km), NE Australia. ...