Rion (rēônˈ) [key], ancient Phasis, river, c.195 mi (310 km) long, rising in the Caucasus near the Mamison Pass, W Georgia, and flowing S and W past Kutaisi into the Black Sea at Poti. Its upper course is used to produce hydroelectric power. In its lower course it passes through the lowland of Mingrelia. The Ossetian Military Road follows the upper Rion valley.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Rion from Infoplease:
- Ben-Gurion: meaning and definitions - Ben-Gurion: Definition and Pronunciation
- Flammarion: meaning and definitions - Flammarion: Definition and Pronunciation
- Lepanto: meaning and definitions - Lepanto: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mamison - Mamison Mamison or Mamisson, pass, 9,550 ft (2,911 m) high, in the central Greater Caucasus, on the ...
- Kutaisi - Kutaisi Kutaisi , city (1989 pop. 234,870), W Georgia, on the Rion River. Georgia's second ...