Rioja (rēōˈhä) [key], autonomous region, 1,690 sq mi (4,378 sq km), N Spain, coextensive with La Rioja prov. A fertile region, it is famous for its fine wines, which are produced chiefly between Logroño and Haro in the upper Ebro Valley.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Rioja from Infoplease:
- Rioja: meaning and definitions - Rioja: Definition and Pronunciation
- La Rioja: meaning and definitions - La Rioja: Definition and Pronunciation
- Logroño - Logroño Logroño , city (1990 pop. 121,911), capital of La Rioja prov., N Spain, in La ...
- Carlos Saúl Menem - Menem, Carlos Saúl Menem, Carlos Saúl , 1930–, president of Argentina ...
- Calahorra - Calahorra Calahorra , town (1990 pop. 18,869), La Rioja prov., NE Spain, on the Cidacos River near ...