Riga, Gulf of
Riga, Gulf of, eastern arm of the Baltic Sea, bordering on Estonia and on Latvia. At its mouth it is nearly closed off by the Estonian island of Saaremaa. The gulf, which is frozen from December to April, receives the Western Dvina (Daugava) River. Riga and Pärnu are the chief ports.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gulf of Riga from Infoplease:
- Saaremaa: meaning and definitions - Saaremaa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Riga: meaning and definitions - Riga: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pärnu - Pärnu Pärnu , Ger. Pernau, Rus. Pyarnu, city (1994 pop. 51,963), SW Estonia, on the Gulf ...
- Riga - Riga Riga , city (1992 est. pop. 901,700), capital of Latvia, on the Daugava (Western Dvina) River ...
- Latvia - Latvia Latvia , Latvian Latvija, officially Republic of Latvia, republic (2005 est. pop. ...