Repton, village, Derbyshire, central England. It was once a capital of the kingdom of Mercia. A monastery, the seat of the Mercia bishops, stood there in the 7th cent. but was later destroyed by the Danes. Remains exist of a priory founded in 1172, and the Church of St. Wystan has a fine Saxon crypt. The village is known for Repton School (1557), a public school for boys established on the grounds of the priory.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: British and Irish Political Geography