Remscheid (rĕmˈshĪt) [key], city (1994 pop. 123,610), North Rhine–Westphalia, W Germany, on the Wupper River. It is a leading center of the German tool and hardware industry; it has manufactures in iron. Remscheid was first mentioned in the 11th cent. and chartered in 1808. Its masonry dam (completed 1891) is the oldest in Germany. The city was badly damaged (1943) during World War II.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Remscheid from Infoplease:
- Remscheid: meaning and definitions - Remscheid: Definition and Pronunciation
- Wupper - Wupper Wupper , river, c.65 mi (100 km) long, W central Germany. It is formed by several ...
- Solingen - Solingen Solingen , city (1994 pop. 166,064), North Rhine–Westphalia, W Germany, on the ...
- North Rhine–Westphalia - North Rhine–Westphalia North Rhine–Westphalia , Ger. Nordrhein-Westfalen, state (1994 ...
- Encyclopedia: German Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning German Political Geography.