Rasht (răsht) [key] or Resht rĕsht, city (1991 pop. 340,637), capital of Gilan prov., NW Iran, near the Caspian Sea. It is an administrative and trade center for a fertile agricultural region where rice, cotton, silk, and peanuts are produced. Manufactures include textiles, food products, and glass. Bandar-e Anzali serves as its port on the Caspian. The city has had a history of Russian influence since the 17th cent.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Rasht from Infoplease:
- Rasht: meaning and definitions - Rasht: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/rasht - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Resht: meaning and definitions - Resht: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sefid Rud - Sefid Rud Sefid Rud or Safid Rud, river, c.450 mi (720 km) long, rising in NW Iran and flowing ...
- Gilan - Gilan Gilan or Ghilan, province (1991 pop. 2,204,047), 14,709 sq mi (38,106 sq km), NW Iran, ...