Puntarenas (pōntärāˈnäs) [key], town (1995 est. pop. 40,706), capital of Puntarenas prov., W Costa Rica, on the Gulf of Nicoya. Formerly the country's principal port on the Pacific, it has been supplanted by the port at Calderas. There is also substantial coastal trade. Other major industries are fishing (especially for shark and tuna) and fish processing. An international airport is located at Puntarenas.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Puntarenas from Infoplease:
- Puntarenas: meaning and definitions - Puntarenas: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/puntarenas - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Gulf of Nicoya - Nicoya, Gulf of Nicoya, Gulf of , inlet of the Pacific Ocean, Central America, between the Nicoya ...
- Costa Rica - Costa Rica Costa Rica , officially Republic of Costa Rica, republic (2005 est. pop. 4,016,000), ...
- Nicoya Peninsula - Nicoya Peninsula Nicoya Peninsula, Guanacaste and Puntarenas provs., W Costa Rica, separating the ...