Praia (prĪˈə) [key], city (1990 pop. 61,644), capital of Cape Verde, on the south shore of Santiago island, c.415 mi (668 km) W of Dakar, Senegal. It is Cape Verde's largest city, as well as a commercial center and a port that ships coffee, sugarcane, and tropical fruit. Praia also has a fishing industry. Resort beaches are nearby, and an airport is just west of the city.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Praia from Infoplease:
- Praia: meaning and definitions - Praia: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/praia - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Cape Verde - Information on Cape Verde — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Cape Verde: meaning and definitions - Cape Verde: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cape Verde - Cape Verde Cape Verde , Port. Cabo Verde, officially Republic of Cape Verde, republic (2005 est. ...