Poyang or P'o-yang (both: pô-yäng) [key], shallow lake, c.1,000 sq mi (2,590 sq km), N Jiangxi prov., SE China; one of China's largest lakes. It serves as a natural overflow reservoir for the Chang River, with which it is connected by canal. It receives the Gan River and several smaller rivers. The lake basin is one of China's richest rice-producing regions.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Poyang from Infoplease:
- Poyang: meaning and definitions - Poyang: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/poyang - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Gan - Gan Gan or Kan, river, c.550 mi (885 km) long, flowing north through the plain of central Jiangxi ...
- Jiujiang - Jiujiang Jiujiang or Kiukiang,city (1994 est. pop. 322,300), N Jiangxi prov., China, on the Chang ...
- Jingdezhen - Jingdezhen Jingdezhen or Fowliang, city (1994 est. pop. 294,000), NE Jiangxi prov., China, on the ...