Port Pirie (pĭrˈē) [key], city (1991 pop. 14,110), South Australia, S Australia, on an inlet of Spencer Gulf. It is a railroad center and has uranium refineries and smelting works for the silver-lead mines at Broken Hill. Silver-lead ore and refined lead are exported.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Port Pirie from Infoplease:
- Port Pirie: meaning and definitions - Port Pirie: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/port pirie - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Spencer Gulf - Spencer Gulf Spencer Gulf, inlet of the Indian Ocean, 200 mi (322 km) long and 80 mi (129 km) wide, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index pooch pood poodle poof pooh Pooh Bah pooh-pooh pooka pool pool hall poolroom ...
- South Australia - South Australia South Australia, state (1991 pop. 1,236,623), 380,070 sq mi (984,381 sq km), S ...