Porbandar (pōrˈbəndər) [key], town (1991 pop. 116,546), Gujurat state, W central India, on the Arabian Sea. Porbandar trades with Persian Gulf and East African ports, has airline service and major highway connections, and is the terminus of a rail line. Fishing is an important industry. It is noted for its high-quality ghee and building stone. Mohandas Gandhi was born there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Porbandar from Infoplease:
- Porbandar: meaning and definitions - Porbandar: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi - Gandhi, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, Mohandas Karamchand , 1869–1948, Indian political and ...
- Mohandas Gandhi - Biography of Mohandas Gandhi, Non-violent leader of Indian independence
- October 2 Birthdays: Mohandas Gandhi - October 2 birthdays: Mohandas Gandhi, Sting, Donna Karan, Groucho Marx, Graham Greene, Wallace Stevens, Nat Turner
- Encyclopedia: Indian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Indian Political Geography.