Pontoise (pôNtwäzˈ) [key], city (1990 pop. 28,463), capital of Val-d'Oise dept., N central France. It is the site of a technical school. The metallurgy and chemical industries are important. A "new town" called Cergy is south of the city.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Pontoise from Infoplease:
- Pontoise: meaning and definitions - Pontoise: Definition and Pronunciation
- Val-d'Oise: meaning and definitions - Val-d'Oise: Definition and Pronunciation
- Val-d'Oise - Val-d'Oise Val-d'Oise , department (1990 est. pop. 1,064,900), N central France, N of ...
- Vexin - Vexin Vexin , region of N France. It is mainly agricultural, with some industry in the valleys. By ...
- Oise, river, Belgium and France - Oise Oise, river, 186 mi (299 km) long, rising in the Ardennes Mts., S Belgium, and flowing through ...