Ponta Delgada (pônˈtə dĕlgäˈdə) [key], city (1991 pop. 21,091), capital of Ponta Delgada dist., in the Azores, Portugal. An important port on São Miguel island, it is the largest city and chief commercial center of the Azores. It is also a winter resort. The Univ. of the Azores was founded there in 1976.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ponta Delgada from Infoplease:
- Ponta Delgada: meaning and definitions - Ponta Delgada: Definition and Pronunciation
- São Miguel - São Miguel São Miguel , island (1991 pop. 126,388), 288 sq mi (746 sq km), one of the ...
- Teófilo Braga - Braga, Teófilo Braga, Teófilo , 1843–1924, Portuguese intellectual and ...
- Azores - Azores Azores , Port. Açores [Port.,=hawks], islands (1991 pop. 241,592), 905 sq mi (2,344 ...
- Encyclopedia: Spanish and Portuguese Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Spanish and Portuguese Political Geography.