Plassey (plăsˈē) [key], village, West Bengal state, NE India. In Plassey, Robert Clive decisively defeated (1757) the Nawab of Bengal, preparing the way for British dominion over NE India and earning him the title Baron Clive of Plassey.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Plassey from Infoplease:
- Plassey: meaning and definitions - Plassey: Definition and Pronunciation
- Clive: meaning and definitions - Clive: Definition and Pronunciation
- Clive, Robert, Baron Clive of Plassey - Clive, Robert, Baron Clive of Plassey Clive, Robert, Baron Clive of Plassey , 1725–74, ...
- Seven Years War: Peace - Peace By the Treaty of St. Petersburg (1762) Russia made peace and restored all conquests; Sweden ...
- Bengal - Bengal Bengal , region, 77,442 sq mi (200,575 sq km), E India and Bangladesh, on the Bay of Bengal. ...