Peor (pēˈôr) [key] [Heb., = opening], mountain, E of Jordan, to which Balak took Balaam to deliver his curses. In ancient times it was said to be near Heshbon. See Baal-peor.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Peor from Infoplease:
- Baal-peor - Baal-peor Baal-peor , local divinity (the Baal) of Peor. According to the Book of Numbers, the ...
- Beth-peor - Beth-peor Beth-peor , in the Bible, town of ancient Palestine where Baal-peor was worshiped.
- Baal-Peor - Baal-Peor or Belphegor. The Priapus of the Moabites and Midianites. Source: Dictionary of Phrase ...
- Belphegor - Belphegor: Belphegor: see Baal-peor.
- Midian - Midian Midian or Midianites, in the Bible, a nomadic Bedouin people of N Arabia in what is S ...