Pembrokeshire, Welsh Sir Benfro, county, 614 sq mi (1,590 sq km), SW Wales. In 1974, the county of Pembrokeshire became part of the nonmetropolitan county of Dyfed, but in 1996 Dyfed was dissolved and Pembrokeshire was restored as a unitary authority.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Pembrokeshire from Infoplease:
- Pembrokeshire: meaning and definitions - Pembrokeshire: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pembroke: meaning and definitions - Pembroke: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dyfed - Dyfed Dyfed , former county, W Wales. It was created in the 1974 administrative reorganization of ...
- Haverfordwest - Haverfordwest Haverfordwest , Welsh Hwlffordd, town (1981 pop. 9,936), Pembrokeshire, SW Wales, on ...
- Ceredigion - Ceredigion Ceredigion, county, 694 sq mi (1,797 sq km), W Wales. Ceredigion, corresponding to the ...