Peipus, Lake (pĪˈpəs) [key], Estonian Peipsi Järv, Rus. Chudskoye Ozero, c.1,390 sq mi (3,600 sq km), dividing Estonia from the W Pskov region, Russia. Its southern section is known as Lake Pskov. Lake Peipus, which is navigable, empties through the Narva River into the Gulf of Finland. On the frozen strait between Lake Peipus and Lake Pskov, Alexander Nevsky defeated the Livonian Knights in 1242.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Lake Peipus from Infoplease:
- Pskov: meaning and definitions - Pskov: Definition and Pronunciation
- Narva, river, Estonia and Russia - Narva Narva, river, c.50 mi (80 km) long, rising in Lake Peipus (Chudskoye), E Estonia, and flowing ...
- Livonian Brothers of the Sword - Livonian Brothers of the Sword Livonian Brothers of the Sword or Livonian Knights, German military ...
- Livonia, region and former Russian province - Livonia Livonia , region and former Russian province, comprising present Estonia and parts of ...
- Alexander Nevsky (Aleksandr Nevskiy) - Starring Nikolai Cherkasov, Nikolai Okhlopkov, Andrei Abrikosov, Dmitri Orlov, Vasili Novikov