Pavlodar, city (1989 pop. 330,748), N Kazakhstan, on the Irtysh River. It is an oil-refining center, and manufactures include heavy machinery, aluminum, and chemicals. It was founded as a fortress in 1720, and remained for many years a quiescent salt manufacturing town.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Pavlodar from Infoplease:
- Pavlodar: meaning and definitions - Pavlodar: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/pavlodar - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Virgin Lands Territory - Virgin Lands Territory Virgin Lands Territory, Rus. Tselinny Kray, former administrative division, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index pas Pasadena pas allé Pasargadae Pasay Pascagoula pascal Pascal's law ...
- Kazakhstan - Information on Kazakhstan — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.