Parkes, town (1991 pop. 8,784), New South Wales, SE Australia. It is the site of a radiotelescope (opened 1961) capable of receiving radio waves from a distance of 1 billion light-years.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Parkes from Infoplease:
- Parks: meaning and definitions - Parks: Definition and Pronunciation
- park: meaning and definitions - park: Definition and Pronunciation
- Park Range - Park Range Park Range, part of the Rocky Mts., central Colo. and S Wyo., extending N from the ...
- Park Chung Hee - Park Chung Hee Park Chung Hee , 1917–79, president (1963–79) of the Republic of Korea ...
- Mungo Park - Park, Mungo Park, Mungo, 1771–1806, British explorer in Africa, b. Selkirk, Scotland. After ...